Monday, October 13, 2014

Dual Type Moves are the Downfall of Society

We live in a world of dual-typing. Mono typed pokemon are becoming rarer and rarer as dual-typing has many advantages in terms of type coverage and unique qualities they add to each pokemon. This can be viewed as a good thing or a bad thing, but in my opinion I think it's just fine.

Until Generation VI, that is.

What's that emerging over the horizon? Could it be.
Oh NOOOOOOO

FLYING PRESS

Gosh dang it Hawlucha, you  just had to ruin our fun with your stupid fighting-flying type move.

As a species, most people aren't too fond of change. I try to think that for someone who transfered schools on a whim, I'm not all that anti-change, but in certain occasions I just think things are starting to get out of hand. This is one of those cases.

Personally, I think that things are complicated enough with move and pokemon typing to consider when attacking or defending. What is gonna be super effective against Dewgong again? Who should I switch out? What the heck am I doing with my life?

Besides memorizing all of the defensive and offensive resistances for each dual-type pokemon on top of having to consistently consult one of 

THESE
battling is complicated enough as it is.

And I'm not just bringing these points up for selfish reasons, we must consider the original and intended demographic of pokemon, kids. What kind of kid is going to play a game that's so frustrating that it requires you to memorize stupid little things like type effectiveness for each individual dual-typed pokemon AND dual-typed move!?
We have to understand our limits when it comes to difficulty as a whole Pokemon community. There is never going to be a perfect Goldilocks quantity of difficulty, but I think the harder stuff should keep the heck out of the main gen games.

Younger audiences aren't going to play much beyond the main storyline, and if that's too hard to complete then their never even going to think about breaching into the forbidden realms of competitive battling.

So my idea is we try to keep the dual-type moves to a minimum, and if older fans really want a challenge, we can take up competitive battling or examine one of the many awesome and difficult pokemon ROMs out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment