Monday, December 22, 2014

How to Ruin your Life in 3 Easy Steps


If you've ever played mario kart with me, you're probably not my friend anymore.
More times than not I ramble the excuse, "My parents never put me in competitive sports so I never learned how to take a defeat." But in reality, I am just a horribly, over competitive person.
From having the best animal crossing town to always getting the highest grades (and not-so subtlety bragging about all of these things), I have to have the best and be the best.
So whenever I play
Mariokart
Super Smash Bros


I get overly competitive, loud, and super duper angry. 

But why? Why am I so competitive and loud and angry when I get passionate about stuff?

1) Natural Selection
So yeah, let's just blame everything on genetics and evolution, but really it's pretty relevant right now! It isn't called survival of the fittest for nothing, only the fittest survive in the competition for resources. Yes, competition, it is ingrained into our souls. So there's no wonder that we're competitive people! It may not be life or death, but we gotta compete and we gotta want to win! 

2) Social Norms
Okay what fun would mario kart be if everyone just sat there and kinda just played? Forming social bonds is formed by trust, and more times than not, mutual enjoyment of an activity. If you're gonna be friends with someone you want to enjoy what they enjoy too. If someone's having a blast (although getting mad a bit too) while getting stars left and right in mario party, you're gonna want to have fun and be engaged, or at least seem like you are having fun, too if you want to befriend this person! Monkey see monkey has to do if they want bros.

3) BRO ITS JUST HARD NOT TO BE COMPETITIVE
If you like something, you're going to want to  be good at it. If feels good to win, and we crave that naturally. To be the best means to live, and to rub it in the faces of your friends. Even the most even tempered person has their field they just have to be the best, even if subconsciously. Don't be afraid to let this side out! It's hecka fun and gets the blood pumping.
Just remember, don't get too mad when you lose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment