Monday, January 26, 2015

Hospice by The Antlers part 2

I don't like being poetic, but I can't help but feel that way about this subject.

It's weird how things tend to take a grand emotional toll on you even though you have nothing to do with it. Watching sad movies or reading sad books, all in all we are very emotional people. When forming a connection with a story that is not your own, it often is a slippery slope that we lead.

Often these outlets are fantastic at times, we feel happy for our favorite characters when they are happy, and we can share these feelings with others too- those who also feel this way about these characters; and so we find fandoms. Groups of people coming together just to discuss these fictional or real people that we hold so dear to us.

Yet, despite my dear attachment to this album and the emotions and characters portrayed within it- I just can't bring myself to write any more about it.

I don't know if it's a lack of enthusiasm, or the sheer quantity of negative emotions that this album digs up for me. It's so depressing; yet I can't help but explore and wallow in the negativity that it portrayed. I am infatuated by the ideals, emotions, and concepts presented in these simple eleven songs.

Eleven songs that ruined my life.

I'm not going to lie when I say that my first wave of obsession with this dismal album caused me to relapse into a horrible depression as I became so entranced with the notes and theories I held in my shaking hands.

It's a slippery slope; obsession and understanding.



I don't know why this particular object entranced me so much. It could have been anything else- a band, or a movie, or a tv show, or a comic book series, but instead it was this. Almost as if it is my soulmate. And what a horrible and cruel irony it is to have this album as my soulmate.

I understand that the feelings that I find within these songs are probably unique to me alone, but I still wish that I could portray my emotions on this album justly. 



Perhaps, do you feel the same way about something?




That one thing that no matter what- you can't get anyone else to understand just how much it means to you. The impact it has on your life to the point where it obsessed your waking and sleeping moments.



Is it a person?




A place?




Or maybe it's just a concept that you've yet to put to words and hope that you never will- because you know that it's impossible.




Either way- tell me about it. Whisper it to the winds and let everyone know what it is that you connect to. It will change as you age- I promise, but it will always be just as special as the moment you first found it.



This, my friends, is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment