Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Homeless or Houseless?

Life is weird- I think we all pretty much know that. Even when we have what we "need" we don't have what we "want". We are reminded of that so often- the difference between need and what. We need food, shelter, and water. We want love, companionship, and material goods. But what if it's really the other way around?

Last year in my Theology class we watched The Human Experience. Of course watching it in a class about Jesus everything had to be related back to Jesus, but I still got something rad out of it. I got the knowledge that sometimes the value of human relations outweighs the value of necessities.

I often daydream about doing wild things like running away, eating nothing but top ramen and drinking cheap wine until I run out of money. I know it's not practical for me now or even in the long run, but wouldn't I be so much freer, so much happier than I am now?

Maybe I, just like every other person my age and not my age, am just getting a bad case of seasonal depression and I'm starting to think irrationally- but what the hell! I love irrational thinking!
It's so human and it's so flawed, and sometimes these imaginative thoughts are the ones that really lead to innovation.

So what the heck? Why shouldn't I just take caution to the wind and let my life be run by something bigger than me? Obviously now is not the best time- but it might be a really great experience for even a short time.

Do you wanna try it too? Bro, we should both do it. ;)

So now I present.



STEP 1) Pick a time
Personally I would suggest taking a few days, few weeks, few months, or few years off of your regular life. The best time to do this would probably be in a transitional time in your life. High school to college, college to the "real life", between jobs, just take your pick and go with it! Make sure you have someone to watch your house or apartment while you're gone, and if you're going to be really homeless and sell your apartment or house before doing this, make sure you've got enough money to get another one (and a job) or something once you're done with your experience. Also, make sure you've got someone who knows what you're doing and will have your back if it fails catastrophically.

STEP 2) Supplies
My recommendation is to have priority in what you take with you. Value things like hygiene, food, extra clothes, and don't carry too much money with you at any given time because you're probably going to get mugged. Depending if you're going to be taking shelter in an urban or a rural location; you're going to need varying supplies. A sleeping bag is always a must- but make sure you've got something sturdy to carry your things with you. Good shoes and socks are always needed- and dress in layers. It might not be a horrible idea to bring some sort of easily-concealable weapon to defend yourself with- although I'm not sure how legal some of these things are. Well- no one got anywhere exciting by following all the rules.

STEP 3) Departure
When leaving, make sure you'e got everything ready and you're feeling comfortable. If you're not- that's okay too- it's part of the experience. I can't really tell you much of what the experience will be like because I've got no fucking clue. With luck, I too will be able to do this someday- and I hope we can share war stories.

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment