Monday, April 6, 2015

Healthy Obsession

A little perspective, a little hindsight, and a lot of regret never hurt anyone.

Especially not me when I realize my previous ranting post about Hospice by the Antlers is not really the usual loving and teen-like admiration we all experience in our lives. No, this shit was obsessive. Obsessive as in the album was the only thing I listened to for over a month.

So I tried to take this mentality and evaluate many of the other things I spend my time doing. Like the 10 hours I spent putting together my pokemon competitive team. Or maybe the 200+ hours I have on my Animal Crossing New Leaf Game. Or maybe the fact that I have managed to read at least half of the fanfictions for the pokemon main game series out there.

So maybe I'm just an obsessive person, but I know I'm not the only one.

At least, as much as I wish I could be, I'm not this guy. Or maybe even this dear brave soul.

But the more I look, my obsession doesn't seem all that off. Maybe I'm not the only one who possesses this personality characteristic, to obsess. I've got a super cute friend who had her long obsession with the book series Persepolis (which is a fantastic book series so it's totally justified ;) ). I've got another bro who I know has this affinity for all things French, slap an Eiffel Tower  on something and she will be all over that. And my own young sister somehow manages to spend all her time on pinterest and has over 2000 followers I don't understand this at all still what the hell Lily.

So maybe, all in all, these things should really be relabeled. Our compulsory attraction and affinity to a given concept, entity, or being should not be ridiculed, but held in esteem. These are not our obsessions, these are our passions.

Yeah, that's your passion. This is your passion.

Now what you need to do is grab it by the reins and go, run as fast as you can. Chase it and, if you're willing, make it yours.

This is what most people label as the epitome of employment, to make money off of your passion, and you can do it!


But what if you haven't found your passion yet? Or maybe you realize it's not really gonna be the best way to make money?

Don't worry my friend, just keep at it. Things will come with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment